Overall: 12849

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 140
Bots: 1
Staff: 0
Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
Forums » Creativity » Customs » What do you call a unicorn with wings? (like "Swiftwind")
What do you call a unicorn with wings? (like "Swiftwind")
Discuss, Display, Request, Offer
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index » Customs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you call a unicorn with wings?
Flying Unicorn
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Alicorn (or Alacorn)
24%
 24%  [ 16 ]
Unipeg
31%
 31%  [ 21 ]
Pegacorn
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Cerapter
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Piacorn
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Winged Unicorn
33%
 33%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 66

Eruna
Arena Supporter
Arena Supporter

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: What do you call a unicorn with wings? (like "Swiftwind")

I have seen winged unicorns listed under many names. Which one do you think is best and/or most appropriate? Is one "technically" right? I have added my opinions in italics, but you know what they say about opinions Wink

Cerapter: A winged unicorn, from the Greek words ceros meaning "horn" and pteros meaning "wing." I like this name, but it reminds me of a dinosaur

Alicorn: (or Alacorn) Some modern authors claim that the Alicorn
is a term for the species of flying unicorns from the Latin words ala
meaning "wing" and cornu meaning "horn," I found this on Wikipedia: An alicorn is usually, the horn of a unicorn, or the material of which the horn is made.
A modern, but incorrect usage of the word alicorn is to refer to a winged unicorn. These pterippus (also called pegasus after the original winged horse Pegasus) who are given horns are a modern notion and have no mythological counterparts.
The alicorn was thought to cure many diseases and have the ability to detect poisons. Many Phycisians would make "cures" and sell them.
Many cups were made from "alicorn" for kings and given as a gift. I generally prefer this name, even though it is apparently incorrect

Pegacorn: an obvious combination of "pegasus" and "unicorn." `I don't like this term because I think it souds unpleasant and doesn't "feel right."

Unipeg: an obvious reversal of the above combination. `I dislike this one for the same reason that I dislike "pegacorn", but I think I dislike it even more. Probably my least favorite.[i/]

Piacorn: I have seen this used, but couldn't find and documentation on the root of the name. [i]I have no opinion one way or the other on this one.

Flying Unicorn and Winged Unicorn: Unicorn with a descriptive lable. these seem like they are probably the most appropriate, but they aren't catchy and are too long.

Which one do you like?

Last edited by Eruna on 0; edited 1 time in total
lovelauraland
Custom Surprise
Custom Surprise

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: Re: What do you call a unicorn with wings? (like "Swiftwind")

I have a book i'm wrighting at the mo and I have called the Unipegs in the book, although I know they have been called Alicorns before too. But I still think Unipeg sounds better, they are a Unicorn Pegasus lol Happy

Please visit my DeviantArt account - http://lovelauraland.deviantart.com/
Eruna
Arena Supporter
Arena Supporter

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: Re: What do you call a unicorn with wings? (like "Swiftwind")

Lol, cool! Good to know- I started the poll because I wanted to see everyone's opinions on a weird "i don't know, I don't think about it much" topic Happy Lol, how do you know its a Unicorn Pegasus and not a Pegasus Unicorn? Wink

Lil Cupcake Sister Pony

Winged Unicorn. <3 I like the sound of it and this one actually makes sense. Alicorn sounds beautiful, but just doesn't make me think of a winged uni immediatly.

Thanks HollowZero for helping raise awareness with these ponies!
Current pony count: 94. Includes all generations + customs

Bella Sara cards for trade | Custom Gallery | Explanation of my current RL problems
goatess
Mommy & Baby Pony

I use to say Unipeg, i heard Alicorn before abut i think Unipeg sounds better!!

My custom gallery!
www.mlparena.com/galle...s/goatess/
PrincessAmalthea
The Last Unicorn Custom Pony

The word alicorn I always thought of as a unicorn's horn.

I would say winged unicorn.

Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm

One of my friends who has an interest in mythical beasts called one a Pegahorn I think? Or it could have been Pegacorn, not very sure. Look Round

Health Nut Pony

Unipeg all the way Smile

SourdoughStomper
Solar Powered Site Admin
Solar Powered Site Admin

'Course, if you wanted to open another can of worms, we could point out that "Pegasus" is a name for one specific being from Greek mythology instead of a generic word for a species of creatures. Poke Tounge

That being said, I tend to say winged unicorn. If I need to use a short form to name something like an adoptable file, I'll use unipeg.

princessFirefly
Reverse Gusty Pony

i've always called the Flying Unicorn

YourLoveOnly
Lil Cupcake Sister Pony

SourdoughStomper wrote:
That being said, I tend to say winged unicorn. If I need to use a short form to name something like an adoptable file, I'll use unipeg.
If I need to type a short name for it I just type WU. ^^

Thanks HollowZero for helping raise awareness with these ponies!
Current pony count: 94. Includes all generations + customs

Bella Sara cards for trade | Custom Gallery | Explanation of my current RL problems
Eruna
Arena Supporter
Arena Supporter

SourdoughStomper wrote:
'Course, if you wanted to open another can of worms, we could point out that "Pegasus" is a name for one specific being from Greek mythology instead of a generic word for a species of creatures. Poke Tounge

Opening a can of worms is always fun! And yes, you're right about that one! But I guess its kind of like using Medusa for any creature with snakes for hair....

Here's an interesting tidbit!
From Wikipedia:

In modern terminology, the word "pegasus" (plural "pegasi") has come to refer to any winged horse, though the term "pterippus" (meaning winged horse, plural "pterippi") is also used.

Lol, should we start calling winged ponies pterippi?!

The Last Unicorn Custom Pony

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: Re: What do you call a unicorn with wings? (like "Swiftwind"

Eruna wrote:
SourdoughStomper wrote:

Opening a can of worms is always fun! And yes, you're right about that one! But I guess its kind of like using Medusa for any creature with snakes for hair....

Here's an interesting tidbit!
From Wikipedia:

In modern terminology, the word "pegasus" (plural "pegasi") has come to refer to any winged horse, though the term "pterippus" (meaning winged horse, plural "pterippi") is also used.

Lol, should we start calling winged ponies pterippi?!

ooo no! They are called Gorgons! Happy

Arena Supporter
Arena Supporter

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: Re: What do you call a unicorn with wings? (like "Swiftwind"

PrincessAmalthea wrote:

ooo no! They are called Gorgons! Happy

Well technically, Pegasus is a Gorgon, right? Isn't he the offspring of Medusa or something?

ninja
*Eruna starts riffling through all of her Greek mythology books*

Dazzle Surprise

Pegasus was born when Medusa's head was lopped off, so he's not exactly her child per se, but stems from her body. Mythology is weird like that.

I'm in a bad spot because aside from all of the actual mythology I've read, I also read The H.M.S. Basset, which is a book about a journey to the mythical side of the world. In the book, Medusa isn't evil or ugly - she's actually quite pretty if you don't mind the snakes - and she keeps accidentally cursing people without meaning to. So I always took that and combined it with the old myth - Medusa was a victim of her own curse, and when she was slain, Pegasus represented her innocent soul being freed.

/off topic.

I always called them Winged Unicorns or Pegacorns. I always knew that Alicorn was the technical term for the horn, so it's a pet peeve when it's used to describe a winged uni.

Thanks YLH for the avatar!~Get your own Wandering Pony in the Adoptables forum!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Customs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: