Overall: 12849

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 14
Bots: 1
Staff: 0
Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
Forums » Creativity » Customs » The products we use....
The products we use....
Discuss, Display, Request, Offer
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index » Customs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pop-girl
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: The products we use....

There always seem to be multiple threads asking what paint, sealer, hair, ect.... to use. Many of you have suggested that we have one thread where everyone can post their product preferences.

This thread is for members to post what products they use. Please only make one post, you can edit your information using the edit button. Let's try to keep this thread on topic and only post if you want to share. I'd like this to become a permanent sticky and don't want people to have to sort through a lot of comments in order to get to the relevant posts. Wink

You should include:

Bait Prep
Dehairing-
Symbol Removal-
Glitter Removal-

Paint Work
Paint-
Sealer-
Brushes-

Sculpting
Product-

Rehairing
Prefered Method
Manes-
Tails-
Hair-

Tips & Tricks-

A link to your customs so that people can see your end results.

I'll start. Wink

Bait Prep
Dehairing- I use boiling water to soften the glue and a pair of hemostats for pulling out the hair. I prefer to use hemos over my needlenose pliers because I can get a better grip.
Symbol Removal- 100% pure acetone.
Glitter Removal- Just soak a cottonball in acetone and place it on the glitter. Let it sit until the glue dissolves and then wipe the glitter away.

Paint Work
Paint- Createx airbrushing paint for both airbrushing and symbols. Createx covers great and goes on very smooth. I also use Liquitex acrylics.
Sealer- Testors Dullcote provides a smooth, matte finish and DecoArt's Triple Thick for glossy eyes.
Brushes- I don't have a particular brand that I stick with. I usually buy whatever is on sale. The brushes I use for eyes and symbols are size 10/0, 18/0 and 20/0. I prefer to use spotters or short liner brushes.

Sculpting
Product- Aves Apoxie Sculpt

Rehairing
Prefered Method
Manes- I use a rehairing tool along with hot glue to secure the plugs.
Tails- Cuddlyparrot's Zip Tie Method.
Hair- I use nylon or saran hair from Dollyhair.com with very few exceptions.

Tips & Tricks
I have 2 tools that I use with almost every custom and are easy to find. 1) I love to use the thick coated wires that are used to secure children's toys for pulling tails through. The coating protects my hands from the wire cutting into my skin and they're extremely strong and durable so they never break. 2) A wooden dowel sharpened with my pencil sharpener. It's great for making small paint dots or just wrap a bit of cotten around the end for cleaning up small mistakes.

My Customs

Last edited by pop-girl on 0; edited 3 times in total
ImmortalPanda
Arena Supporter
Arena Supporter

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: Re: The products we use....

Awesome idea for a thread Pop Smile Here's my info!

Bait Prep
Dehairing- 5.5 inch curved forceps, Acetone for stubborn glue and tweezers!
Symbol Removal- 100% Acetone. Goof-Off if i run out of acetone.

Paint Work
Paint- Golden Artists Acrylics, Delta Ceramcoat craft acrylics. Apple Barrel if I'm in a pinch!
Sealer-Matte Mod Podge for bodies, Gloss mod podge for eyes
Brushes- I personally use synthetics to keep cost down. I go for small liners, spotters and a few flat brushes for larger coverage areas. Soft bristles only!

Sculpting
Product-Super Sculpey 3 (in the green box!) for strength , and easy to work with. Apoxie sculpt for armature, or other pieces that need added strength.

Rehairing
Prefered Method- The Tool
Manes- Tool
Tails-Zip Tie method
Hair- Dollyhair. Katsilk is nice, but it has a different texture.
Tips & Tricks- Don't rush your custom! Take your time and only work on it when relaxed. When you are rushed or frustrated, that is the time where you are most likely to make mistakes. Put your custom aside if you become frustrated and come back to it later. Never be afraid to remove any paint if you are unsatisfied with your work. Patience pays off!

Click my sig to see my customs ^_^

GloryGeekGirl
MOC Mimic

Ooh, nice idea. =)

Bait Prep
Dehairing- Removing the head, I usually pop the pony in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes until the body is soft. Pony stew! After removing the head (with an exacto knife if necessary), I cut the hair short on the outside and then use a hemostat clamp to remove the hair from the inside. The same clamp pulls out the tail from inside very easily. I also cut the tail short if it is so frizzy that it cannot be pulled out.
Symbol Removal- 100% acetone. Also works well with glitter if you soak a piece of cotton and let it sit on the glitter symbol for a while.

Paint Work
Paint- Any acrylics. I use cheap Folk Art and Delta Ceramcoat, usually $1 per bottle at Michael's.
Sealer- Mod Podge Matte and Delta Ceramcoat's gloss varnish.
Brushes- Most of mine are pretty cheap Golden Taklon and such, but I have one really good, very fine sable brush that I use for tiny details. It's old so I don't know who manufactured it.

Sculpting
Product- Apoxie Sculpt from Aves Studio. I'm thinking about trying Apoxie Clay, too.

Rehairing
Prefered Method I use a rehairing tool (needle in a dowel stick). This is my second one and it works perfectly.
Manes- Just the rehairing tool.
Tails- For this I use floral wire to wrap around the center of the tail, then I fold the tail in half and wrap the wire around the loop this creates. Usually a few wraps is enough. Then I make a loop with floral wire to pull this through the tail hole from inside to out.
Hair- I use saran and nylon from Dollyhair and katsilk saran from Restoredoll. I like both products.

Tips & Tricks
I use simple floral wire for my armatures and some cheap mesh I found at Michael's. I seem to be the only person who uses Q-tips (or a cheap version) for all my paint removal, but they're easy to use, I love them. I'll pour a little acetone into an empty glass votive holder that's used only for this purpose and pour the excess back into the container.

I have a lot of small Solo cups that I bought for a thing at work, and since they didn't get used, I use them now for water cups. I keep one for clean water and one for dirty water, that way I don't have to worry about the dirty water corrupting the paint on the brush.

I also like coming up with a complete design before I start on a pony (aside from prep). It's also nice having several baits prepped in advance so that if I do get an exciting idea, I can start in on it right away.

My Customs

Heathen
Target Exclusive Winter Pony

I'm still working on my first custom, can I throw my two-cents in anyway?

BAIT PREP
Dehairing: I start by trimming the man as close to the plugs as I can get it. Then I pull off the head (I have yet to find a truly stubborn head, but an X-acto blade works well for cutting through glue), and use a pair of long hemostats to pull the plugs out from the inside. (Hemostats, for those who aren't familiar with them, are surgical instruments similar to scissors, but instead of having blades that cut things, the heads are flat, and usually grooved for a stronger grip.)
Symbol Removal: 100% acetone, always.
Glitter Removal: Again, acetone. Get a cotton pad nice and soaked, then lay it over the glittery area. Let it sit for a few minutes, until the glue turns white and soft. Rub it off.

PAINT WORK
Paint: Currently using Reeves artist acrylics, liking them pretty well. Good coverage, and the pigment goes a long way.
Sealer: Haven't gotten to this stage yet, but I bought Liquitex Matte Varnish (for sealing bodies) and Liquitex Gloss Finish (for sealing eyes).
Brushes: The most expensive I can afford. You can get the job done with virtually any brush, but the cheaper the brush, the more involved the process. Cheaper brushes will shed hairs into your paint which you'll have to pick out, and it seems to be easier to leave behind brush strokes with cheaper brushes (meaning you'll have to do more coats to cover them). More expensive brushes also hold their point better, which means you don't have to buy quite as many brushes (I can use a 000 sable brush for the entire eye, rather than a 000 on the whites and pupil, a 10/0 on the highlights and a 20/0 on the iris lines with a nylon brush).

SCULPTING
Product: So far, I'm using Sculpey III; if I were to start doing more complex sculpting jobs, I would turn to Apoxie first.

REHAIRING
Preferred Method
Manes: For clean manes that'll be a cinch to remove later, I like Woosie's method of using dental floss to pull hair through. This method doesn't involve using glue to hold the hair in place, so you can pull out individual plugs and possibly save them for use in another custom. This method takes a lot longer, though; for quick jobs, the rehairing tool looks good to me.
Tails: Again, Woosie's method of doubling the hank over and using a long piece of dental floss to pull it through is my preferred method. For anchoring it in place, I'm thinking of using plastic zip ties, if I can find some with large enough buckles to keep the tail from being pulled out again. I prefer plastic anchors to metal, as it deters rust, which can stain and/or damage the tail hair.

TIPS & TRICKS
- A hair dryer works wonders for drying paint quickly, and it can also help smooth out brush strokes.
- YES YOU CAN PUT YOUR PONY IN THE OVEN. Don't be afraid, casualties are rare. If you're worried, sit in front of the oven door and watch it through the window. It's normal for the pony to be a little softer than usual when she comes out, just set her on a flat surface in her usual pose and she'll harden up as she cools. (If you're baking a G3 pony, be sure to remove the magnet in her foot first. If you leave the magnet in, you're increasing your chance of casualty thousand-fold.)

Thanks to YLH for my avatar, and SDS for my sig! You girls are goddesses!
BlackberryPie
Arena Supporter
Arena Supporter

Bait Prep
Dehairing- Boil the head to soften the glue, if the head doesn't just come off, I use a razor (scalpel, knife, whatever I have that is small and handy) I then put the hair up in a pony tail with a rubber band. Then using really sharp scissors, I cut as close as I can up against the hair, and cut the hair and save it for later. Then with a pair of needle nose pliers I pull the hair out fron the inside of the head.
Symbol Removal- Acetone and a papertowel. Nice and simple.

Paint Work
Paint- CraftSmart, Apple Barrel, Delta Dreamcoat, and a few other brands.
Sealer- Delta Dreamcoat Interior/Exterior Gloss Varnish, and Matte Modge Podge
Brushes- I prefer Loew-Cornell brushes. The smaller the better and only natural bristles, I don't like synthetic bristles. As for full body paints, either a sponge brush or a large sable brush.

Sculpting
Product- Apoxie Sculpt and Super Sculpy

Rehairing
Prefered Method- Wire meathod
Manes- Depending on how my fingers feel I use a rehair tool or the wire method.
Tails- I use the same method that is found here
Hair- I use whatever I can get my hands on, mostly hair from Dolly Hair though.

Tips & Tricks- Hmm, I don't really have any.. I mean I'm sure I can think of some later. Happy

My customs can be found on deviant art. leahthecheetah.deviantart.com/

Formally known as Leah_Freenote.

Last edited by BlackberryPie on 0; edited 3 times in total
RavenclawPrefect
Reverse Gusty Pony

Bait Prep
Dehairing- Removing the head, I usually try to manhandle it first and then run it under hot water to loosen the glue. After removing the head (with an exacto knife if necessary), I cut the hair short on the outside and then use a needle nose pliers to remove the hair from the inside. I grab a hunk of hair and twist...large sections come out at a time. The same pliers pulls out the tail from inside very easily.

Symbol Removal- 100% acetone. This works with glitter too.

Paint Work
Paint- Any acrylics. Whatever happens to be on sale at the time
Sealer- Mod Podge Matte and Gloss for eyes
Brushes- I don't know, I have three thin brushes that I tend to use but I am lazy and don't want to go see who made them. I think at least one is made by Loew-Cornell. I got all of them at Michaels.

Sculpting
Product- Apoxie Sculpt from Aves Studio.

Rehairing
Prefered Method I use a rehairing tool (needle in a dowel stick). I also use the wire method using floral wire bent in half
Manes- Just the rehairing tool.
Tails- It depends. Most of the time, I use the floral wire to form a loop, go from the outside and bring it up the neck hole. I loop the wire around the tail and pull it back out. Sometimes I use the pliers to make the booty hole bigger and just put the tail in from the outside. I normally just knot the tail in the middle.
Hair- I use dollyhair almost exclusively. I have tried custompony but I have tangling issues.

Tips & Tricks
Hmmm, I can't think of anything off the top of my head other than I do normally pencil in a design before I start to paint. I then erase any stray marks after I paint. Cosmetic make up sponges are great to do full body paint, they can be cut down to teeny sizes to use in more fine detail if needed.

RavenclawPrefect's Customs

AeraCura
MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie

Oh what a fantastic idea!

Bait Prep
Dehairing- I cut it in a very short mohawk first and then pull it out from the inside with hemostats. If the glue wont give I will pour a little Pure Acetone down in there.
Symbol Removal- Pure Acetone!!!!!
Glitter Removal- More Pure Acetone. I let a soaked cotton ball sit on it for a bit and then scrape it off with my Xacto.

Paint Work
Paint- I use mainly Apple Barrel, Folk Art and Craft Essentials. Occasionally Americana and Delta Ceramcoat.
Sealer- For eyes I use Folk Art's Triple Thick sealer. For symbols I either use Delta Ceramcoat's Satin Interior Varnish or Mod Podge Matte, depending on the look I want.
Brushes- I buy sets of white nylon Loew-Cornell brushes from Walmart. They are cheap, but very soft and last me awhile. I also have a very fine 20/0 brush from Micheal's which only cost about $3 and has lasted me around a year so far.

Sculpting
Product- I use a little bit of everything, Sculpey, Sculpey III, Super Sculpey (which is fantastic stuff), Fimo and Apoxie Sculpt. I prefer, and use mainly, Apoxie, but everything else has is uses.

Rehairing
Prefered Method
Manes- I use LDD's rerooting tool. Its great and quick!
Tails- I use a plastic-coated wire twist tie to make a tail, then pull it out from the inside with a wire loop.
Hair- I prefer dollyhair, their nylon is fantastic and their saran is just as great.

Tips & Tricks-
Patience! Dont rush yourself. If your custom is driving you crazy put it on hold and work on something enjoyable. If you are ever in doubt on something, google it or search here. Theres been so many tutorials made, chances are what you are looking for has been covered by several people. That way you can browse and sort of decide which method works best for you! Just because something works for another person, doesnt mean it will work for you. Just be open to all sources of information. Big Ups

My custom gallery:
shai-tainthekitty.deviantart.com/

Current Hoarde #: 42
AC's Custom FAQ Blog! Anything and Everything you want to know! *now with links!*
AC's Salon: Custom Tutorials, etc! *New Mermaid Tutorial!*ACs Projects: My Everything-else-but-ponies blog!
Wrenniepooh
Sharingan Pony

Bait Prep
Dehairing- tie the mane up in a small rubberband if I'm gonna save the cuttings to reuse on a baby custom, them trim it off close to the scalp. Then I pull out the glue and hair clumps with my hemostat.
Symbol Removal- 100% pure acetone and cotton balls
Glitter Removal- 100% pure acetone and cotton balls, gentle scraping with a razor knife on the stubborn stuff.

Paint Work

Paint- Whatever I have on hand in the color I need. Some Testors model acrylics, I love the flat black for outlining, Apple Barrel acrylics, Liquitex acrylics tubes...
Sealer- Matte Mod Podge for flat sealing usually, I've also used satin finish Polycrylic. Aleene's Paper Glaze for the glossy bits.
Brushes- A hodge-podge of brands, sizes and bristle types that I've accumulated throughout the years. Usage depends on the personality of that brush on that particular day. Wink Some days a certain brush wants to do fine lines, some days it don't.

Sculpting
Product- Aves Apoxie Clay

Rehairing
Manes- Needles and floss method with knotted hair plugs. Sure, it takes a while to do, but it's very secure. (and it gives me something to do on my 2 hour waits some mornings before my shift starts at work)
Tails- tied with wrapped acrylic yarn and then coated with quick dry epoxy to form a yarn and glue "bead" to secure the hairs from being pulled out of the tail and to hold it inside the body.
Hair- Dollyhair nylon

Tips & Tricks- I use the non-brush end of a small paintbrush to make perfect dots/spots. (Works best if the end is rounded) Great for eye highlight spots! Just thin the paint a bit, touch the handle end just into it, then place the spot. TaDa, perfectly round dot. Practice on a piece of paper a few times, and you'll get a feel for how much paint you need to make different size dots.

Small stickers make great stencils! Place them and paint over it to keep the area underneath the base color, (make sure to carefully remove the sticker before the paint dries, or it will peel the paint up around it as well) or use the sticker material from around a sticker shape as a stencil and fill it in with paint, then remove. Use decorative paper punches to make your own, or carefully cut out freehand shapes with an exacto blade.

A link to your customs so that people can see your end results:
Wrennie's Customs

So Soft Pony

What a nice idea! <3

Quote::

Bait Prep
Dehairing- Straight-up pliers and hemostats. That's basically it. ^^'''' Takes me a while.
Symbol Removal- Either acetone nail polish remover or 100% acetone. Usually on a cotton ball.
Glitter Removal- 100% acetone and lots of rubbing with a cotton ball. @_@'

Paint Work
Paint- Whatever I have on hand - anything from Apple Barrel to my fancy airbrush paints. It all depends on the effects I want. ^^ All watered down.
Sealer- Testors Dullcote. ^^ Sculpey glaze for gloss on eyes and whatnot.
Brushes- Whatever I have on hand for regular brushes...but I barely use brushes. More often, I basecoat with my Dual-Action Iwata (I think it's an Iwata) airbrush, and details are done with a toothpick.

Sculpting
Product- Sculpey II. Never tried Apoxie Sculpt, so for now, I stick where I am familiar. I'm used to it from my dollmaking. ^^'

Rehairing
Manes- I cut plug by plug and knot each bit in the middle, then pull it through with some copper wire. I open the holes as I go with a pushpin. ^^
Tails- I fasten with acrylic yarn, good and tight, and dab with superglue. It works great. ^^' No rust, either.
Hair- Dollyhair all the way! Sometimes I'll use hair extensions if I'm going for a certain effect.

Tips & Tricks- For painting veins, 3D glitter paint under the basecoat works great. <3 Also, when properly allowed to dry and sealed, I find that Micron inking pens are great for detailing.

My ponies all eventually wind up here: ladyvincira.deviantart.com

Tabbyclaw
Rainbow Curl Pony

Bait Prep
Dehairing- Ultra-thin needle-nosed pliers, "borrowed" from my father's automotive shop.
Symbol Removal- Pure acetone, nitrile gloves, and an old white cotton T-shirt.
Glitter Removal- Same as above.

Paint Work
Paint- Folk Art acrylics. I own "only" 14 colors (the six primary and tertiary colors, black, white, brown, two extra shades of green because I suck at mixing green paints, teal bought especially for Nebula, Tapioca as a base for human skin tones, and metallic silver), and any other shade i need gets mixed on a batch-by-batch basis.
Sealer- None, though I'm planning on picking up a bottle each of matte and glossy Mod Podge for some upcoming gift customs.
Brushes- Loew-Cornell Comfort. Synthetic, but very solidly built. I use a #4 chisel for large areas, and a 5/0 spotter and 18/0 round for details. But after only one attempt, I have completely converted to makeup sponges for full-body repaints. Three days and a million coats with a brush, an hour plus a little touching-up the next morning with a sponge.

Sculpting
Product- Sculpey and Apoxie Sculpt. Still trying to decide which I like better, and suspecting that the apoxie will win most of the time.

Rehairing
Prefered Method
Manes- Aikarin's floral wire method.
Tails- Woosie's dental floss method.
Hair- Dollyhair nylon, exclusively.

Tips & Tricks-
-The toy packaging wires Pop-Girl mentioned also work for small armatures.
-"Official" sculpting tools are good to have on hand for fine details, but anything can be a sculpting tool if you utilize it as such. In addition to some ribbon tools (great for making clothing look ripped, the custom I'm currently working on has been sculpted with sandpaper, makeup sponges, and a very small screwdriver.
-Remember your mistakes! Not only so you don't repeat them, but recall what kind of effects they created in case you want that to happen again someday.

I don't keep a gallery other than Photobucket, but I do post everything I make here; best bet is to check out my posting history.

-Tabby
the princess with claws
nickeline
Dabbles Pony

Bait Prep
Dehairing-needlenose pliars
Symbol Removal- Goof Off
Glitter Removal- Goof Off

Paint Work
Paint- Liquitex Acrylics
Sealer- Delta Ceramcoat Matte sealer
Brushes- Nylon brushes

Sculpting
Product- Apoxie Clay and sometimes flexible Sculpey for accessories

Rehairing
Prefered Method
Manes- My own version of "the tool"
Tails- pull through with wire, secure with zip ties or non-rusting aluminum wire
Hair- Katsilk Saran, sometimes nylon from Dazzglow or elsewhere. Not a big fan of Dollyhair after a bad experience with her awhile back.

Tips & Tricks- Liquitex Fluidificant/Fluidifiant solution for thinning your paints is terrific for making paint smoother and last longer before it dries out on the palette.

A link to your customs so that people can see your end results:
www.nickelinescustoms.com
(some are for sale-- e-mail if interested.)

Click here to buy pony ipods, stockings, and corsets
or
Check out my ebay auctions!
tikibirds
Arena Supporter
Arena Supporter

Bait Prep
Dehairing-needle nose pliers
Symbol Removal- nail polish remover
Glitter Removal- nail polish remover

Paint Work
Paint- folk art
Sealer- modge podge
Brushes- just a set of art advantage brushes

Sculpting
Product- hearty air drying clay

Rehairing
Prefered Method -
Manes- rehairing tool i got from LDD
Tails- i try to use old MLP tails. When i make my own, i either have too much or too little hair
Hair- dollyhair or restore doll

www.deviantart.com/tikibirds

G3 Prototype Pony

Bait Prep
Dehairing: I just use my scissors to cut the mane as short as I can and then use the same scissors to pull out the hair from within. Also using the scissors to scrape along the hairline inside to loosen it.
Symbol Removal: I use nailpolish remover, a cheap brand (or no brand really). Probably could do better with 100% acetone.
Glitter Removal: As pop-girl said, soak a cottonball and leave it on the glitter for a bit. But then I usually end up scraping and hurting the plastic, probably because it's just nailpolish remover.

Paint Work
Paint: Games Workshop paints. I recently got an airbrush but I haven't used it yet.
Sealer: I have the Games Workshop sealer, but it's a bit glossy. I don't have any matte sealers. I don't like sealing Poke Tounge
Brushes: The brushes I use most have no brand, they're like 10 brushes in 1 pack that I got eons ago. I also have a 01 and a 00 brush.

Sculpting
Product: I started with Green Stuff (Games Workshop), but I think my batch was really old because someone told me they now make a blue one and the green is off the market. Anyway, it was really thick and not so sticky. I now use Milliput. I had the Super fine white first which was great. I now have the grey kind but I like it a little less. It's quite sticky. I haven't used it much yet so I may like it better in time.

Rehairing
Prefered Method: Rerooting tool! I have one made by Titaniaqueen. I broke a few in the past, but I prefer the tool over any other method I've tried.
Manes: I don't use knots, I just stick the plugs in with the tool working from the forehead to the neck. Then pour 1 second glue inside the head and hope for the best Poke Tounge
Tails: I use garbagebag clips to tie the hair together in the middle. Then see if I have any old secure rings. I devide the hair in 1 half and 2 quarter pieces, tie them up with garbagebag clips. Stick the ends of the clips through the tailhole. Pull out the 1 half and then wiggle the 2 quarter pieces out.
Hair: My Little Pony Nylon Dollyhair, always!

Tips & Tricks-

Most of my customs are here: smg.photobucket.com/al...e/customs/ My most recent custom is still in the air so I can't show him off yet. Lapras and baby Nightlight aren't made by me and starting from the rollerskate pony the customs are really old.

Oh, I see people above me using Fimo. I want to add a warning about colored Fimo, or at least any Fimo Soft with red pigment (so also browns). They stain! The color gets on your hands so be careful not to touch the pony in places you don't want the color at. Unless you plan a full body repaint. I haven't noticed this about other colors but ones with red tones. Be careful!

[edit to combine posts heart pop-girl]

My wantlist - My sale/tradelist
DGRequiem
Dazzle Surprise

Bait Prep
Dehairing- Scissors and needle-nosed pliers
Symbol Removal-Acetone
Glitter Removal-More Acetone

Paint Work
Paint- Createx Airbrush Paint for airbrushing, symbols. Anita's metallic paints for metallic symbols and bases under glitter symbols. Delta Ceramacoat for painting over sculpting.
Sealer-Delta Ceramacoat matte, satin, and high gloss sealants
Brushes- Whichever brand has the softest/smoothest brush that keeps it's shape after I brush it across my hand a few times in the size I need.

Sculpting
Product-To create unpainted detail, Sculpy (see candy ponies)
For 'flexible' sculpting on things that would otherwise be fragile, like long slender lion-tales, Bendy Sculpy.
For things I'm going to be painting over, or things to put underneath the unpainted sculpting for strength, Aves Apoxie Sculpt & Aves Apoxie Clay.

Rehairing
Prefered Method
Manes- A doll needle. Thread the eye with the tip of the plug, put it through the hole. It's not the fastest method, but it allows for the thickest plugs and allows you to re-use mane hair
Tails-Put a hair band through the hole, pull it out through the neck, put the tail about half way through the loop, pull it out the other end.
Hair-Pony hair (#1) Dollyhair fibres

Tips & Tricks-
1.For crisp super-glittery glitter symbols, first paint the symbol with metallic paint the same color as your glitter. Pour a little glitter into a high gloss sealant, and paint the glitter/sealant mix over the dried metallic symbols.

2.Making sculpted hair look good has nothing to do with the shape of the hair used. The trick is in draping it so it looks like it is hair, not clay.

www.requiemart.com/gal...temId=2521
ChocolateStarfire
Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony

Bait Prep
Dehairing-An X-acto razor/scalpel (If needed) for head removal, a long, 4 inch pair of tweezers, and a pair of scissors to trim the mane/tail of the bait prior to removal, as well as scratching away that nasty mess of glue.
Symbol Removal--I usually do full body repaints; however, I use acetone to remove the most stubborn symbols, otherwise using acetone infused nail polish remover works as well.
Glitter Removal-An X-acto or a scalpel works well for this; gently scraping the area after applying rubbing alcohol usually does the trick.

Paint Work
Paint-I use acrylics only; I tend to use Liquitex, Delta Ceramcoat and Apple Barrel the most often, as these seem to be of a higher quality and are very durable. I usually mix these with a little water during use.
Sealer- Oddly enough, I don't use sealer. I haven't experienced any issues without it, so...
Brushes-I use several sizes/shapes of brush head. I have a wide fan, a thick narrow fan, and a few nosehair (size 0) standard brushes. I clean them after every use, soaking them in tap water and scrubbing them with soap.

Sculpting
Product-Sculpey and Crayola Model Magic. CMM is air drying, lightweight and easy to use.

Rehairing
Prefered Method
Manes-I use a long doll rehairing needle (5 inches or so) and separate the hair into plugs, then feed it through the neck with the help of pliers.
Tails- I use my long tweezers, a twisty tied chunk of hair, and pull like mad until it pops through.
Hair-Katsilk by RestoreDoll is my favorite, and Dollyhair Nylon is a close second. Big Grin

Tips & Tricks-Whenever you use sharp equipment, i.e., most customizing stuff, be careful about letting your fingers get in the way of the task you intend on finishing. Blush Also, take your time when you make a custom. Make it perfect, and then display it. And as a btw, you don't have to sell them unless you really want to. Have fun and good luck!

raptorcomics.homestead...stoms.html

Poke Tounge

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Customs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: