Overall: 12849

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 12
Bots: 2
Staff: 0
Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
Forums » Pony Talk » Off Topic » Has anybody else tried Atkins?
Has anybody else tried Atkins?
Life Outside Ponyland...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index » Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrazyCatLady
Arena Supporter
Arena Supporter

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: Has anybody else tried Atkins?

Since I've been sick I've completly lost my taste for chocolate, which is weird since I'm a total chocoholic. Since my love of cocoa was the main reason I've never tried Atkins, this seemed like a good time to see if it would work. I've haven't been perfect, but I haven't had pasta, potatoes, chocolate (or any other sweets) or pop for a week. And I've lost 5 pounds! The hardest part is having to really think about everything I eat instead of just putting a frozen dinner in the microwave. You also have to read the label on everything.

The first phase is the most difficult, all you can have is protein and some veggies. You're not even supposed to eat the low carb breads, tortillas, etc. But honestly it hasn't been that hard. Today at the grocery store I managed to walk through the bakery to get to the produce and I didn't succumb to the doughnuts calling my name!

So, anyone have an Atkins success story?

The way you spend each day adds up to the way you spend your life.
lizstaley
Scribbles Pony

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: Re: Has anybody else tried Atkins?

I haven't tried Atkins. I know that it works wonderfully for many people, and I'm not going to lecture. But I would like to chime in and say that a lot of the initial weight loss in low carb diets is because every one gram of carbs holds on to a certain amount of water. So if you don't eat the carbs, your body doesn't have that water in it.

I have lost 108 pounds though, so I know what it's like to try to lose weight! Good luck with your efforts!

Twizel
Switchblade Kitten

my fiance lost 100+ pounds on it, but he had trouble when he got off the diet because even though he lost the weight, he didn't learn healthy eating habits along the way.

I tried it once, but I got so sick of eating the same foods over and over. I lose weight better just by watching calories and eating veggies.

Mommy & Baby Pony

I follow the Paleo diet, in which the only "safe" carbs are fruits and veggies - most fruits are strictly verboten in Atkins AFAIK.

The diet emphasizes LEAN meats, tons of veg and fruit, and no refined grains or sugar. I have had friends lose 50+lbs by eating it, and I'm down about 15 lbs myself.

Off Topic/Trader Support Mod

I tried it quite a few years ago--if you are going to go for it, be careful. I got really sick off of it, my body went into starvation mode and pretty much shut down.

Things may have changed since then, in not sure. I would probably do a bit of research before committing to anything Smile

TY Lina and SDS Smile
CrazyCatLady
Arena Supporter
Arena Supporter

So far I feel fine. Part of the reason I wanted to try this is because most of the women in my end up with type 2 diabetes, and I figured it was time to break my sugar/carb addiction. Right now I'm in the induction phase, which is mostly beef, chicken, seafood, eggs, cheese and veggies. I'm eating lean protein, not binging on bacon. The next phase adds 5 grams of carbs a week and allows nuts, more cheeses and a few fruits. Honestly, I'm not a fruit person so I wouldn't be eating them anyway. The last phase adds 10 grams of carbs a week with more fruits, starchy veggies and beans. I think this diet can be healthy if you're not using it as an excuse to eat fried butter at every meal.

Twizel
Switchblade Kitten

it should be fine as long as you make sure to re-introduce healthy carbs slowly. I don't think anyone should live carb-free for long periods of time.

Lil Cupcake Sister Pony

I went on a specialized diet through my doctor's office last year. It worked quite a bit like Atkins, lots of protein and low carb. I was also taking special supplements though since it was so restrictive with calorie count. It worked really well, I've lost 75 pounds and kept it off. But a big part of that was learning healthy eating habits and getting into a normal exercise routine.
SDstang
The Fatalist

I really struggled with atkins if I didnt stay super stricked in a few days the weight would come back fast. and I would only have like a peice of wjole grain toast a few days in a row. my stomach cant handel no carbs all the time. some people it works great others it doesnt. I am going to start weight watches real soon. I hope you find something that will work for you Smile .

trillian07
Colorswirl Pony

My dad lost a lot of weight on atkins, then gained it all back. It's not good for you either, your body isn't built to work that way, it needs a variety of intake.

My husband lost 70+ on weight watchers, he's not on it anymore and now he's just conscious of what he puts in his mouth and he hasn't gained it back.

I haven't exaggerated in a billion years!
Kiwi
Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
Hippity Hoppity Site Admin

Good luck with your diet Smile

~ Squeewi ~
Kiwi ref sheet
CrazyCatLady
Arena Supporter
Arena Supporter

I can now button the pants that I was using a rubber band to hold closed! Energetic

melodys_angel
Off Topic/Trader Support Mod

Well best of luck Smile

Reading your response I hope I didnt imply things--it was just something that wasnt for me I guess.

TY Lina and SDS Smile
CrazyCatLady
Arena Supporter
Arena Supporter

@melodys_angel-No worries, some diets work for you, some don't. I had no luck with Weight Watchers, I was hungry all the time and craved sugar like crazy. One of my cousins is doing Slim Fast and loves it, my other cousin said it made her sick and shaky. It would be so much simpler if one diet would work for everybody!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: