Bots: 1
Staff: 0
Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
Forums » Creativity » Customs » Geek Swap! *SHIPPING HAS STARTED!*
Geek Swap! *SHIPPING HAS STARTED!*
Discuss, Display, Request, Offer
Go to page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index » Customs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

would you like to geek out for a swap?
sure! im a total geek!
80%
 80%  [ 25 ]
maybe.......
19%
 19%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 31

Lunamoth
Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: Geek Swap! *SHIPPING HAS STARTED!*

Hey there fellow geeks!

well, the swap has been officially approved...... so... here goes!

We all have something we geek about - something we can obsess over, and we can quote random esoteric facts or clips of dialog, we know the names of extremely obscure background characters, we know the prices and manufacture dates of small plastic toy ponies..... Laugh

So i said to myself, i said "Self, it would be kinda cool to learn some more about other people's obsessions...maybe a geek-themed swap would be a good way of learning about some?"

And here is my Geek Swap!

The idea behind this is not only to create a custom based on your partner's geekiness, but also hopefully to learn about something new. Maybe you might find a new obsession!

You would be creating a custom based on your partner's geeky interests, which quite possibly will not be anything you have ever explored before. I would imagine that Youtube, Wikipedia, and fan sites will be big helps in coming up with designs. There probably will be some amount of research needed to be able to complete the design........ but to me, that's part of the fun of it! Doing the Cartoon Swap was like this for me, since i hadnt ever watched the 'toons that my partner had listed.... i had a lot of Youtube and Wiki time!

When you PM me your form, please be AS SPECIFIC AS POSSIBLE about your obsession. Please include what it is about it that draws you in so much! It would be very helpful to include links to images, fan sites, episodes on Youtube or Hulu, etc....anything that will help your partner get a very good reference point to base the custom on.

Anything is fair game - movies (The Princess Bride, Star Wars), books (LOTR!), TV (Dr Who, Star Trek TOS/TNG), music(do you tour with your favorite band? ), comics/anime/manga, gaming (i know there are a few WoW geeks out there....)

Dates:
Partners assigned before or on: July 22
Progress pictures required: September 5
Final check in: October 24
Shipping: October 31

That gives us August, September, and October to work on the customs. I figured that a 3 month work period might be good, this has the potential to be a *tiny* bit complicated...

***CHANGE TO SWAP REQUIREMENTS***

I have realized that there are an awful lot of newbies and folks who haven't done lots of swaps and/or sales, and therefore don't have that much feedback. In the interest of including these folks, I am changing my requirements a little.

What this means, is that you will be paired with someone who is in your general skill level. I am using the previous custom pictures to judge this, so please send me some good ones!

NEW REQUIREMENTS:
* You must have 5 arena feedback, at least one should be for a completed custom - preferably 2. I will accept feedback from other sources (the Trading Post, eBay) but you MUST have some recent Arena feedback as well.

*You must have been an ACTIVE Arena member for at least 4 months by the time sign-ups are over.

*You must have been in at least 1 previous custom swap, whether private or public.

*You still need to show me images of at least 3 previous customs you have done.

3. Please link to examples of at least 3 customs you have done previously. If they are for current swaps, please make sure that the recipient has the custom before the end of the sign up period.
4. Please ship on time! If something comes up and you will have to be late shipping, please PM me as soon as you can.
5. Please dont ask to ship early! I will PM you the address of your partner when you send me your completed custom pic.
6. Please PM pics of your completed custom, front and back, when requested so that i can give you your partner's shipping address. Also, your partner will be OKed to ship your pony once I've received your completed custom pictures.
7. Please be prepared with WIP pics when they are due.
8. Please let me know as soon as you ship your pony.

***IMPORTANT*** I am requesting that you purchase Delivery Confirmation for your domestic package. It's only 75cents and it is a very handy thing. Not only does it certify the date of shipment, but it also allows us to track the package if it is taking longer than expected. If the package goes missing, with a DC number the post office can track it to the last scanned place and there is a better chance it will be found.

Please PM me the DC number when you ship. For international packages, there isnt any tracking method except by customs number, so please PM me that when you ship. At least we can track if it has left the country yet with that number!

9. Please dont let anyone know who your partner is - it's a secret!
10. Extras are not required. They are always welcome, but please limit it to one or two small items.
11. Including this, you must not be in any more than 3 swaps.
12. Please include "Live Long and Prosper" as the first line of your PM so i know you have read all the rules!

Form:
Arena Name:
Real name and shipping address:
Email address (for contacting you off forum if we need to):
Link to feedback:
Links to pictures of at least 3 of your most recent customs (if they are for a currently-running swap, don't worry, i won't repost them and spoil the surprise!):
If the customs are for current swaps, please link to the swap threads:
Will you ship internationally?
Which generation(s) would you like to recieve?
Which generation(s) do you prefer to customize?
Is there any generation you do not want to recieve?
If you request a g4 custom, would you mind making a g1 or g3 in exchange? or vice versa?
Is there any thing you do not want on your custom ?(glitter, real feathers, sculpted hair, full-body symbols, crystals, etc)?
Is there anything you really like on custom?
What are your favorite colors?
Do you have any allergies?
Do you smoke, have pets, or any other things we should be aware of in case your partner has allergies?
What other swaps are you in?

*What do you geek out over?
*What is it about it that draws you in?
*Do you have an especially favorite part/quote/character?
*Is there anything about it that you WOULDNT want a custom based on?
*Please link to any helpful websites (Youtube, Hulu, fan sites, Wikipedia, etc):

*Is there anything you DONT want to create a custom of? For example, would you really have a hard time making a Team Edward custom? or do you detest Star Trek?

OK, fellow geeks..... let's geek out!

PARTICIPANTS:
1 - lunamoth Smile
2 - thatg33kgirl - checked in
3 - hyenacub- checked in *shipped* *recieved*
4 - granate- checked in *shipped*
5 - enchantress41580 - checked *recieved*
6 - Tinker - checked in *shipped* *recieved*
7- nichole0059 - checked in *shipped*
8- RevRuby - checked in *recieved*

*please don't be alarmed if it takes me a couple of days to get back to you after you PM me, I have a 3 year old and a 6 year old on school vacation and it seems I am always driving them somewhere! Rest assured I am working on them! Smile

[Approved by Kanthaka - 6/27]

**Come visit my dA gallery** commissions CLOSED **

Last edited by Lunamoth on 0; edited 17 times in total
Angellove
Lil Cupcake Sister Pony

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: Re: gauging interest...geek swap?

I am going to think about it. I tend to geek out about MTG.
Kanthaka
Customs Mod

It would definitely be a challenge since people would likely be making ponies that aren't based on things they're personally familiar with. Interesting idea!

lizstaley
Scribbles Pony

Definitely sound interesting!

hyenacub
Storm Chaser

So each person would make a pony based on something their PARTNER geeks out on right?

Arena Supporter
Arena Supporter

sounds interesting to me Smile

Thanks to Beatsme for my wonderful siggy xx DA PAGE: tamaska-revenge.deviantart.com/ MLPARENA PAGE: www.mlparena.com/galle...ms/Teasle/
Fleur-de-Lis

Ooooh, sounds really cool!

Click HERE to go to my DA page. Click HERE to go to my Webcomic!
Lunamoth

Yeah, it would be the customizer doing something that the recipient likes. I found that doing the cartoon swap I learned about some new 'toons i didn't know of earlier... I thought that was really cool. It would be fun, I think, to learn a little about someone else's obsession Smile

For example, I could learn more about Dr Who (i only an familiar with the old show)...someone else could find out things about star trek they didn't know, maybe you could get into manga... etc.

So not only a custom swap, but a chance to get to know a little more about each other and some new things!

It would be an 8 week working time. I could run it so that the end date is in September, which would mean that it would start sometime in the middle of June.

I'm not sure what to do, experience wise.... maybe do 2 levels, if I get enough interest going.....

**Come visit my dA gallery** commissions CLOSED **
Kimmers4Ever
Dazzle Surprise

It sounds like a fun idea. Like someone else said it'll get people aware of what others likes and maybe find new things to geek about. I know I've gotten a few shows from just listening to other people.

I think for me it'll be if I can get supplies in a timely manner. That and the requirements, since I'm so new still. Otherwise, this would be fun to do.

For Sale: www.mlparena.com/Forum...71279.html
Commissions: CLOSED, PM for quote | Trades: Closed
Tinker
Scribbles Pony

I could get into this. I geek out a lot of different things and would love to learn about another interest.

kittybethy
Pony Corral Mod
Pony Corral Mod

This sounds fun!

So Soft Pony

This is a neat idea. I geek out over quite a few random things and it would be cool to see others' that maybe I don't know about.
hannaliten
Mommy & Baby Pony

I would love to be part of this one!

simplysteffie
Dazzle Surprise

When you said "geek". .. I was thinking more along the line of a bunch of Revenge of the Nerd ponies. Poke Tounge

My DA: simplysteffie.deviantart.com/

My FB: www.facebook.com/hottdamnitssteff

Sales on Ebay: www.ebay.com/sch/hottd...ksid=p3686
View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Summer-blade
Bay Breeze Pony

ohhh I'd like to join and I think two levels of skill would be great too that way there's something for newbie customizers like me

Want list---> www.mlparena.com/Forum...ml#3280754
Sell and Trades---> www.mlparena.com/Forum...61232.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Customs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Go to page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: