Overall: 12849

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 25
Bots: 1
Staff: 0
Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
Forums » Pony Talk » Pony Corral » The value of rehairs: questions/concerns/opinions?
The value of rehairs: questions/concerns/opinions?
General MLP info, Q&A
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index » Pony Corral
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you rather have a G1 with original hair, even if it's damaged?
I am okay with frizzy G1 hair but can't stand haircuts.
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
I'm okay with haircuts as long as they aren't very noticeable.
22%
 22%  [ 12 ]
I have a few ponies with cut hair and wish they weren't, but I prefer ponies with original hair.
24%
 24%  [ 13 ]
I would rather have a pony that has been rehaired than a pony with frizz!
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
I would rather have a pony that has been rehaired than a pony with a haircut!
18%
 18%  [ 10 ]
I don't care either way!
13%
 13%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 53

ABrownCrayon
Dazzle Surprise

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: The value of rehairs: questions/concerns/opinions?

So I've been thinking about rehairs. Primarily because I found a Blueberry Baskets at the swap meet, black and grimy with hair so frizzed out and disgusting it was way beyond hope. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture, but Novavelle was with me when I opened it up and shook out a handfull of rust.. yuck! Definitely a bait pony.

But then I took her home, cleaned her up really well and realized that her body was pretty much flawless. I knew something had to be done about her hair.

So I rehaired her.

Trust%20me%20when%20I%20say,%20from%20before%20to%20after%20this%20looks%20like%20a%20different%20pony.%20But%20it%20brings%20up%20some%20questions.%20 How%20do%20you%20feel%20about%20ponies%20being%20rehaired?%20 Does%20it%20matter%20which%20pony? Do%20you%20think%20it%20increases%20or%20decreases%20the%20value?%20What%20about%20a%20pony%20that%20is%20otherwise%20mint?%20 Are%20you%20okay%20with%20rehairs%20done%20on%20US%20ponies? What%20about%20Nirvanas?%20 When%20you%20come%20across%20a%20rehair,%20do%20you%20like%20it%20to%20be%20exactly%20the%20same%20as%20the%20original,%20length%20and%20style%20and%20all?%20Or%20do%20you%20like%20things%20a%20little%20different?%20 With%20my%20Blueberry%20Baskets,%20do%20you%20prefer%20her%20with%20her%20long%20straight%20hair%20now,%20or%20as%20she%20usually%20is%20with%20curls? **edit:%20if%20anyone%20is%20curious,%20this%20is%20the%20mess%20I%20removed:%20
even if I straightened out the frizz, I wouldn't be able to fix the fact that the mane was 1/2 its regular length or that it's all stained greenish-brown from the super rust explosion inside.

Need some ponies? Click to see my FOR SALE page!

Last edited by ABrownCrayon on 0; edited 1 time in total
Elisto
Dazzle Surprise

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: Re: The value of rehairs: questions/concerns/opinions?

I prefer original hair, cut, frizzy, or faded, but I'm pretty tolerant of most flaws on my ponies, even cancer...they're used toys after all. That said, I will and have rehaired ponies if they're especially bad (like my nearly-bald Skydancer), although so far, only with donor hair. So, yeah, I don't mind rehaired ponies, as long as it's the same color, length, type, etc. Otherwise, I consider it a custom. As much as I prefer original hair, it's easily-replaceable enough that it's not a huge deal to me, especially since we have access to the actual supplier.

Tinker
Scribbles Pony

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: Re: The value of rehairs: questions/concerns/opinions?

I 'm not a picky collector so I don't care either way. I think the only time it would matter to me is if I wanted to sell the pony. Even then it would be a matter of the rarity/popularity/general condition of the pony. I think it's all about personal preferences.

For me, I like ponies with short to medium length hair. If it's too long, it tangles up too much for me and I can't style hair at all. Your BB looks adorable with her new hair.

Also... I wantz your Animaniacs globe. *swipe*

StarDragon
Colorswirl Pony

The only pony I have with cut hair is baby Cherry Jubilee, but it's only about a half-inch cut... and that was when I was new to collecting and didn't think about haircuts too much. I don't mind her, but from then on (and now) I collect ponies with their original uncut hair, faded, frizzy, or whatever- as long as it's original.
ABrownCrayon
Dazzle Surprise

Tinker wrote:
Also... I wantz your Animaniacs globe. *swipe*

haha, I knew someone was going to mention that.

tuneful87
SHII Pimp - Elusive boy collector

Damn, that's some long hair!

Dazzle Surprise

tuneful87 wrote:
Damn, that's some long hair!

yeah, I haven't trimmed it yet and I used a full hank. exactly 1/2 went to the mane and the other 1/2 to the tail. I'm not sure whether or not I'm going to cut it, since I already have this pony and she's therefore a duplicate.. meaning the potential future owner may want it long as it is (just more even), or short and curled as it's supposed to be.

Babushka
Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony

Honestly, at the end of the day, they are old-ish toys.

Whenever I see a bad haircut on a non-rare pony (not Rapunzel, for example), I think that they deserve some new life.

Does that make them custom if I use Dollyhair and not original hair? Even if I use the same colors? Maybe. But I appreciate looking at my re-haired Coco Berry, Banana Surprise, and Seashell.

Hey, I like custom variant re-hairs. It's my way of "playing" besides taking my ponies out to admire them every now and then. Smile

Always on the lookout for G1 TE Bright Eyes or G1 TAF Night Glider - Any Condition!
My Trades / My Sales / My Wish List
Vintergatan
Lil Cupcake Sister Pony

I am very much for the originality of the pony. But when it comes to hair, I must say it cheers me up when I see a well rehaired pony. Personally, I will do whatever I can to keep the original hair. But if the hair or tail (or both) are beyond help, I wouldn't think twice about rehairing Smile Then, it's just the matter of taste, it can be the same original hair style and colour, but I love seeing ponies with different hair Smile

Generally though, I think it decreases their value, at least for me, but since i know people don't go around rehairing perfect ponies, i always appreciate that rehair was a way to help a pony out Smile

Like for example, your blueberry basket, she's gorgeous!

Trade Page / Want Page

my beautiful avatar is made by devonshireRed and Latrodectus is made by MisfitPony - thank you ever so much!
Violet777
Power Puff Pony

I guess really depends on people's ways of collecting.

I like to have my ponies looking good, so if it's a super rare pony or nirvana that is not in the best condition, I'd personally rather restore it or not have it at all.

Off course I would prefer a pony with original hair, but if it has a bad haircut or if it's way too frizzy and dry, I'd definitely have it re-haired in a way to look as similar to the original as possible.
CarnationTwirl
Ouchy Roids Pony

I don't care if they've been rehaired, since it gives an old pony a new lease on life. As long as they say upfront that it has been rehaired. Same way I don't care if blush/symbols/eyes have been touched up, because to me that falls under the category of restoration. Not everyone can afford or find a good enough version of whichever pony they're hunting for.
Personally I view restoration as a hell of a lot more difficult than customizing, because there is no wiggle room to say 'I meant to do that' or to incorporate happy mistakes into the design.
Blackrabbit
Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony

Hair is always more important to me than a pen mark etc, so I always want great hair and Not Frizz or a major haircut, so i prefer rehairs if it means the hair would be nicer

hyenacub
Storm Chaser

I wouldn't rehair my childhood ponies. i don't MIND frizzy tails, but a frizzy mane would really bug me. I wouldn't mind a rehair if it meant I could get a pony that would normally be too expensive...and if the rehair was the same length and color. Etc..

Dazzle Surprise

I prefer the original hair regardless of the frizz or a cut. Many rehairs, however, do look beautiful (such as yours!!!). I just always prefer the original hair even if the rehairs actually look soooo much better lol!

G3 Prototype Pony

I can live with haircuts on ponies, but I don't like frizzy hair.

That said, if it's rehaired, I want it to be the same color and texture as the original pony.

I really don't like super-long hair on ponies at all, whether it's a custom or a rehair. I definitely wouldn't buy a rehaired pony with extremely long hair. Even hair down to their hooves is too long if it's a G1 (unless it's a Brush 'n Grow or something.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Pony Corral All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: