Overall: 12849

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 19
Bots: 2
Staff: 0
Staff Online:

No staff members are online!
Forums » Pony Talk » MLP Nirvana » So What is Plasticizer and what damage can it cause?
So What is Plasticizer and what damage can it cause?
The Discussion of G1 Hong Kong/China Variations, and G1 Foreign Counterparts
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index » MLP Nirvana
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shelti
*Arena VIP*
*Arena VIP*

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: So What is Plasticizer and what damage can it cause?

Ok, so tell me about Plasticizer.
After reading kitkat's thread, I want to know. I have never had a pony leak or sweat before.
What is it,
what country do ponies usually come from (besides Brazil) that might have it
and
what sort of damage happens when it leaches out.

I want to get more information on it. I am looking at the purchase of a pony
which I was told was leaking and had been wiped down. I am thinking this would have been what that was.

What can you tell me so I know what possible damage can happen for this process.

Glacia471
G3 Prototype Pony

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: Re: So What is Plasticizer and what damage can it cause?

I don't know much about it, though I think Spanish ponies are kinda prone to it. My Fizzy, Galaxy and Hopscotch all have it.

shelti
*Arena VIP*
*Arena VIP*

PostPosted: 0    Post subject: Re: So What is Plasticizer and what damage can it cause?

Glacia471 wrote:
I don't know much about it, though I think Spanish ponies are kinda prone to it. My Fizzy, Galaxy and Hopscotch all have it.
So is it like an oily residue that comes out of the body materials?
Clear, any odor?

Glacia471
G3 Prototype Pony

It's more of a brownish color, kinda like the glue on their neckseam, though it's on other areas of my ponies, like my Hopscotch's back legs. I don't think I've ever noticed any odor with it. awake

shelti
*Arena VIP*
*Arena VIP*

Glacia471 wrote:
It's more of a brownish color, kinda like the glue on their neckseam, though it's on other areas of my ponies, like my Hopscotch's back legs. I don't think I've ever noticed any odor with it. awake

So does it stain then if not cleaned off?
Is it sort of oily or sticky. I know according to kitkats thread it can be washed off, but does it leave a trace if left too long.

Sugarminty
Rapunzel Pony

uugh, sounds bad o.0 cant really imagine what it looks like, does anybody have a pic?

edit : can it even be visible on a pic? Confused
kayveryn
Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony

I do know it usually leaves them sticky and oily looking. all soft plastic has some sort of plasticiser in it, just some break down faster than others. if they loose all of it, they become quite hard. i usually wipe them down with rubbing alcohol, then a light brush of baby powder. it lasts quite a long time, but will likely need to be done periodically. i'm not realy sure who is more prone to getting it tho. I have a pony i soaked in alcohol for a few months, and she came out hard as a rock...lol probly leached out all the plasticiser...=]

kayveryn
Sugarminty
Rapunzel Pony

Hm, I had a few ponies with the same problems I think. But I never saw anything floating out, it was just like the pony getting sticky. Is that what you mean?
Tiggums6
Arena Supporter
Arena Supporter

Ooo I just got a NC Hopscotch to fix up and she is very hard! i wonder if this is what's happened???

hathorcat
G3 Prototype Pony

plasticisers are essentially chemicals which are used to soften plastic

the softer the plastic the more plasticiser has been used - in addition if cheaper quality of plastic has been used more plasticiser will have been used in manufacture so that may be why we see it mostly in ponies from South America as manufacture quality isnt great and the plastic used for most of these seems to be deliberately made quite soft...the more plasticiser leaves the pony the harder the plastic will become

plasticiser does evaporate out of plastic...normally most of this happens early in an items life - like when you open a pony you get a "whiff" of that new pony smell [kind of like with a new car?] - that smell is evaporated plasticiser

hope this makes sense

shelti
*Arena VIP*
*Arena VIP*

Ok, so washing the pony helps keep plasticizer cleaned up.
Sounds like Alcohol and baby powder helps, if you wipe it down and sprinkle it on. That was mentioned in kitkat's thread also but on a short term basis to help stabilize the leaching.
Leaving a pony soaking in alcohol may not be a good idea.

As it's been described so far, see it as a clear, oily substance but some have mentioned turning portions of the pony brown.
So does it stain or is the staining from the plasticizer coming in contact with another material and absorbing coloration from that, which then stains the pony?

Does keeping the pony free and not enclosed in plastic or a baggie help?

So that Crayon smell which Peru Ponies seem to come with, maybe that is actually some sort of chemical which has been used in the body materials process and is a plasticizer or a stabilizer?

Colorscapesart
Customs Mod

I have Trickles that is rock hard (she is also a little more brown in hue with dark rust marks from her symbols). She is so sticky and slimy/gummy inside that I can't seem to get it out no matter what I use on her. Blech. It doesn't seem to have it's own color. Hope this helps!

Commission Status is Closed.
Wantlist
shelti
*Arena VIP*
*Arena VIP*

So now I am wondering, is plasticizer what causes those brown marks some ponies seem so prone to, like German Starshine? That would explain a lot. Ponies who have been stored away in closed baggies or plastic bins or even bubble on cards (explains the Argie MOC issue).

Tiggums6
Arena Supporter
Arena Supporter

I also have Argie Powder with bizarre brownish splotches on her. (Just jumping in again!) This would be a good line of possibility for the marks, I thought I must have spilt chemical or something.

shelti
*Arena VIP*
*Arena VIP*

Tiggums6 wrote:
I also have Argie Powder with bizarre brownish splotches on her. (Just jumping in again!) This would be a good line of possibility for the marks, I thought I must have spilt chemical or something.

It would be a chemical stain for sure Tiggums6 if it was plasticizer from what we have learned so far. The would really explain those nasty MOC lickety splits that were coming from Argentina awhile back. I had an orange one and a white one and both had brown marks on them, which was worse on the back side next to the card. Come to think on it, they were also sticky and I bathed them...

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> MLP Nirvana All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: